Posts Tagged ‘Contract Negotiations’

Nazem Kadri is set to cash in after enjoying a career year right before entering unrestricted free agency. Even though his value is at an all-time high, his No. 1 choice would be returning to the Colorado Avalanche.

“How could it not be?” Kadri said on Sportsnet’s Real Kyper and Bourne.

He added: “The Kroenkes have been great supporters of mine and made it clear to me that they’d like me to stay also, but we understand that there’s a business aspect involved. We’re going to try to work together.”

Kadri set personal bests in assists (59) and points (87) in just 71 games and came up four goals shy of matching his career high of 32. He was excellent during the postseason, too, registering 15 points in 16 games. Kadri also scored the overtime winner in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final in his first contest back from thumb surgery.

Even though he’s set to enter his age-32 campaign, Kadri will be a hot commodity on the open market.

“I’ve shown what my worth is, and I’m just looking forward to watching this all develop,” he said.

Kadri’s previous contract paid him $4.5 million annually, but he’s expected to receive a sizable raise – whether it be from Colorado or another team.

The Pittsburgh Penguins may be in jeopardy of losing two franchise icons to unrestricted free agency this offseason.

Evgeni Malkin and the Pens have not been talking regularly after engaging in initial discussions when the club’s season ended May 15, sources told The Athletic’s Josh Yohe. Numerous agents and some people within the organization reportedly believe it’s unlikely Malkin returns.

Meanwhile, the Penguins have offered Kris Letang a three-year contract, but the star defenseman wants a five-year deal with a cap hit north of $8 million per year, Yohe reports.

It was previously reported Malkin is willing to take a pay cut after earning $9.5 million annually on his last contract, but how much remains to be seen. Letang, meanwhile, is seeking a raise after making $7.25 million per year on his previous deal.

Both players are still playing at a high level despite being in their mid-30s. Malkin, who will turn 36 in July, recorded 42 points in 41 games in 2021-22 after missing the first half of the campaign due to offseason knee surgery. Letang, who turned 35 in April, finished seventh in Norris Trophy voting after posting a career-best 68 points.

Malkin, the 2012 Hart Trophy and 2009 Conn Smythe winner, ranks third in franchise history with 1,146 points in 981 games. Letang leads all Penguins defensemen with 650 points in 941 contests. Both players have spent 16 years with the team and have won three Stanley Cup titles.

The Penguins have $23.2 million in projected cap space, per CapFriendly, but Rickard Rakell and Evan Rodrigues are also UFAs, while Kasperi Kapanen and Danton Heinen are RFAs.

One way Pittsburgh can clear cap space is by trading a defenseman, and Marcus PetterssonBrian Dumoulin, and John Marino are all candidates, according to Yohe. Pettersson, who has three years remaining on his deal with a cap hit of $4.025 million, is reportedly the most likely to go. The organization believes 22-year-old Pierre-Olivier Joseph is ready for a full-time NHL role, and he and Pettersson both play the left side.

AEW Women’s Champion Thunder Rosa recently spoke with TV Insider about the Forbidden Door, her title reign, and former WWE Superstar Paige.

While speaking about Paige, Rosa said that she has so much experience, and if she came to AEW, everybody would benefit from it.

“She has so much experience,” praised Rosa. “She has been wrestling since a young girl. I met her mother a few years ago at an independent show. She is a wrestler’s wrestler. She would bring something different to the women’s division as a wrestler or even if we needed a general manager. If she came to our door, I think everybody will benefit from it. If anyone comes to wrestle me. I’m open to any challenge. Whoever wants a piece of me, you know where to find me. If not, I’ll send you my number right now.”

WWE decided not to renew Paige’s contract when it expires in July. Paige last competed inside of a WWE ring at a live event on December 27, 2017, where she suffered an injury in a six-woman tag match. Paige would then officially announce her in-ring retirement, on the April 18, 2018 episode of “SmackDown.”

During her in-ring tournament, Paige had assumed several roles for the WWE including being the General Manager of “SmackDown” and the manager of the Kabuki Warriors (Asuka & Kairi Sane).

Bradley Beal appears to be staying put in the nation’s capital.

The Washington Wizards star will very likely decline his $36.4-million player option for next season and re-sign on a new five-year, $248-million contract, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reports.

Washington selected Beal third overall in 2012. The Florida product has spent his entire 10-year career with the Wizards. He’s the franchise’s all-time leader in three-point field goals and trails only Hall of Fame big man Elvin Hayes in points scored.

Beal has earned three All-Star selections and one All-NBA nod during his time in Washington. After posting two straight runner-up finishes in the NBA scoring race, his production took a hit last season.

The 28-year-old averaged 23.2 points, 6.6 assists, and 4.7 boards over 40 appearances. Beal’s 2021-22 campaign ended in February after he underwent left wrist surgery.

Miro has revealed precisely why he initially signed an unusual deal upon becoming All Elite back in September 2020.

Coming during a recent interview with Fightful Select, AEW’s resident Redeemer shed some more light on his previously reported unusually short deal with Tony Khan’s promotion. Confirming this shorter deal to have very much been legit, the former TNT Champion would also add that he was happy to give TK a discount due to the overall circumstances brought on by the pandemic at the time of his arrival.

Going further, the one-time WWE star would reveal that Khan originally invested in the “Twitch guy”, whereas now AEW are getting “The Redeemer”, with his initially short contract term being put in place so he could prove himself and eventually earn an even bigger deal when the time came to renew.

On that subject, Miro would note how contract talks with Khan and his company were very good and that the All Elite machine were keen to nail him down to a long-term deal. This lines up with reports of the dominant performer penning a contract with the company in March that would see him extend his AEW stay for a further four years, with this latest deal ending in 2026.

God’s Favourite Champion will next be seen colliding with PAC, Malakai Black, and Clark Connors (a replacement for the injured Tomohiro Ishii) on Sunday’s Forbidden Door card as all four wrestlers look to become the inaugural All-Atlantic Champion.

With signing season around the corner, the Nashville Predators and superstar pending unrestricted free agent Filip Forsberg appear to be at an impasse in contract negotiations.

The two sides have made little progress on a new deal since Nashville’s elimination from the playoffs in May, and they remain far apart in both money and contract structure, sources told Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli.

The Predators have begun to look into options to replace Forsberg through trades or free agency, Seravalli added.

General manager David Poile said the parties have discussed max-term deals.

“He’s not signing with us for anything less than eight years,” Poile said, according to NHL.com’s John Glennon.

“We’re still talking, still talking a lot. We just don’t have it done,” Poile added. “We’ve got a deadline coming up here in July. So I wish it was done; I said that two months ago. It’s disappointing.

“I’m sure (they’re disappointed) because they feel we should be offering something different. We feel that we’re in a good spot. We’ve just got to keep working to get this done.”

Forsberg is set to earn a considerable raise from the $6 million he’s made the past six seasons after burying a career-high 42 goals and 84 points in 69 games in 2021-22. The soon-to-be 28-year-old has played his entire 10-year career in Nashville after the Predators acquired him via trade from the Washington Capitals.

In May, Forsberg said his goal is to sign an extension with Nashville.

The Preds have over $21 million in cap space this offseason, according to Cap Friendly.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have yet to engage in notable contract negotiations with two key pending unrestricted free agents, according to TSN’s Chris Johnston.

“Their two most significant players that could hit the market, Jack Campbell and Ilya Mikheyev, what stands out to me is that they haven’t actually really done any negotiating at all with those players,” Johnston said on Tuesday’s edition of “Insider Trading.”

“Certainly, there’s ongoing dialogue, there’s been discussions with the camps of those guys, but no numbers exchanged. No real back-and-forth there.”

The Leafs are permitted to sign either player to an extension at any time. Campbell and Mikheyev can sign elsewhere once free agency opens July 13.

Mikheyev is looking to make something in the $4-million to $5-million range on his next contract, according to Johnston. His previous deal paid him $1.645 million annually, but he’s coming off a career-high 21 goals this past season.

Campbell made $1.65 million over the past two seasons but is due for a raise as well. He made the Atlantic Division All-Star team after a terrific start to the 2021-22 campaign and finished the year with a 31-9-6 record, five shutouts, and a .914 save percentage.

The 30-year-old had an .897 clip in the playoffs as the Leafs faltered in the first round once again.

Toronto has approximately $7.8 million in cap space to work with at the moment, according to CapFriendly.

MJF appears to not be the only impending free agent All Elite Wrestling and its owner Tony Khan has to worry about in the year 2024. During an interview with “talkSport”, Chris Jericho threw his name into the free-agent pool at the same time MJF has been very vocal about his contract coming up.

“We’ll see how it plays out,” Jericho said in regards to MJF’s current AEW contract situation. “I’m happy with my contract and I know in a year-and-a-half when my contract is done, we’ll have some negotiations to discuss and that’s how it goes.”

“Until then, I want to do the best performances that I can, put on the best shows and the best stories, keep the people interested happy, and excited and when that contract is up, I’ll be rewarded for it.”

Since MJF called out AEW Owner Tony Khan live on “Dynamite” a few weeks back, no one has heard or seen the 26-year-old amidst his comments about wanting to be paid more. Friedman threatened Khan to fire him and called him a “f*cking mark” leading to his microphone being cut off.

Since then, MJF has been removed from all things AEW, including the intro to the showsadvertising, and websites. As far as the situation between his boss and former rival is concerned, Jericho says he’s staying away from it entirely.

“After 30 years in this business, I’ve learned if it doesn’t have anything to do with me I stay the hell out of it. I don’t really care,” Jericho said. “If I had an angle with MJF or if I was involved in the contracts I’d be much more interested in it, but I stay out of it, it has nothing to do with me.

“Only thing I will say is a contract is a contract. If every athlete in every sport wanted to be paid more now, then what’s the point of having a contract, you know what I mean?”

It’s unclear when MJF will return to AEW or if this “work” is actually a “shoot” but according to “The Wizard” Chris Jericho, he doesn’t see MJF leaving AEW anytime soon.

“MJF is [26]. He has a lot to learn,” Jericho said. “He’s not as good as he thinks he is and like I said, it really is nothing to do with me but I’m sure he’ll be back. 18 months is a long time to stay at home and that’s Tony Khan’s prerogative. You’re under contract, you want to stay at home? You can stay at home and not get paid and that’s what happens.

“We see it happen in other companies and that’s just how it goes. If you didn’t expect that, then why did you sign your contract in the first place?”

Ndamukong Suh said Monday that he intends to continue his NFL career in 2022, but the defensive tackle doesn’t expect to return to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“It looks like the Bucs are out of the picture,” Suh said on “NFL Live,” according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The 35-year-old suggested on Tuesday that he’d like to play for the Las Vegas Raiders.

Tampa Bay signaled it was moving on from Suh by signing Akiem Hicks to a one-year deal in June, bolstering a unit containing Vita VeaWilliam Gholston, and rookie Logan Hall.

Suh seemingly hasn’t been linked to any teams at this stage of the offseason.

The five-time Pro Bowler played in all 49 regular-season games in three seasons in Tampa Bay, racking up 14.5 sacks and 112 total tackles. He was a key part of the Bucs’ defense during the club’s Super Bowl run in 2020.

Running back Kareem Hunt is taking a wait-and-see approach when it comes to negotiating a contract extension with the Cleveland Browns.

“Right now, I’m just taking it day by day, man,” Hunt told Cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot. “I’m going to see what they want to do with me, and I’m just taking it day by day. Hopefully, I can be here long-term. We’ll see what God has in plan for me, that’s all I can say.”

Hunt is entering the final year of his current deal, which is worth up to $6.2 million, according to Over the Cap.

The 2017 Pro Bowler would like to put his best foot forward after missing time last season with calf and ankle injuries, and he’s optimistic that a healthier campaign will lead the Browns to believe he should be part of their long-term future.

“I’m just trying to go out there and show them I’m healthy, show them I’m ready to ball out for them as long as they want me to, so I’d love to be here for a long time.”

Hunt, a native of Willoughby, Ohio, would like nothing more than to remain close to home and help deliver a Super Bowl title.

Cleveland has shown that it’s willing to reward players based on production and potential. The AFC North club signed Nick Chubb to a three-year, $36-million extension last summer and awarded tight end David Njoku with a four-year, $56.75-million extension this offseason.

Despite the Browns boasting a crowded tailback group that includes Chubb, D’Ernest Johnson, and rookie Jerome Ford, Hunt isn’t worried about losing carries entering his fourth year in Cleveland.

“I’m just excited to be able to play the game of football,” he said.