Posts Tagged ‘Proposal’

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot on Monday presented three options for renovating Soldier Field, the home of the Chicago Bears, but the team said it’s not interested.

Lightfoot proposed fully enclosing the stadium by rebuilding both end zones with columns that can support a dome; rebuilding both end zones with columns to make the stadium dome-ready; or modifying Soldier Field to be a multi-purpose stadium better suited for soccer.

“Any of these proposed renovations will allow Soldier Field to retain its role as an economic engine for Chicago for years to come,” Lightfoot said in a news release.

The mayor’s office estimated the costs of the three options would range from $900 million to $2.2 billion. It did not say how it would pay for any of the options.

The proposed renovations would expand seating from 61,500 seats (now the lowest capacity in the NFL) up to 70,000; increase the number of suites from 133 to 140; and quadruple concession area square footage from 50,000 square feet (4,645 square meters) to 200,000 square feet (18,580 square meters), the mayor’s office said.

The Bears had no new comment on Lightfoot’s proposals but the team reiterated the same statement it issued July 7 when a panel appointed by Lightfoot recommended the city explore enclosing Soldier Field.

“The only potential project the Chicago Bears are exploring for a new stadium development is Arlington Park. As part of our mutual agreement with the seller of that property, we are not pursuing alternative stadium deals or sites, including renovations to Soldier Field, while we are under contract,” that statement said.

The team signed a purchase agreement last year for a 326-acre (131.93-hectare) site in suburban Arlington Heights, about 30 miles (48 kilometers) miles northwest of Soldier Field, that could be the site of a future stadium. President Ted Phillips has said that deal likely won’t close until early 2023, at which point the team will decide whether it’s “financially feasible to try to develop it further.”

The Philadelphia 76ers on Thursday announced plans to take the first steps toward building a privately-funded sports and entertainment arena.

The team’s managing partners, Josh Harris and David Blitzer, unveiled the creation of a new development company led by business leader David Adelman to create its future home in the city’s Fashion District. They said 76 Place is anticipated to cost approximately $1.3 billion.

“The Philadelphia 76ers are a storied Philadelphia institution with a proven track record of investing in their community. That’s why we’re committed to building a world-class home in the heart of the city and creating a privately-funded arena that strengthens ties within the local community through investments that prioritize equity, inclusivity and accessibility,” Harris said in a news release.

The site was selected primarily due to its access to transit, the release said. The team also cited the “ability to redevelop an existing commercial space.”

Groundbreaking is not expected for several years and the project is expected to be finished in time for the 2031-2032 NBA season.

The Sixers currently play at Wells Fargo Center.

“We’re dedicated to making sure this development is a win for our fans and Philadelphia at large,” said Adelman.

The Buffalo Bills’ proposed new $1.4 billion stadium would include about 60,000 seats and 60 suites, The Associated Press has learned.

The Bills’ proposal includes a timeline for construction with a completion date pegged for no later than 2027 based on how quickly a deal can be struck, a person with direct knowledge of the documents presented to state and county officials told the AP on condition of anonymity because the plan has not been made public.

The team’s current lease expires in July 2023 and would be extended until the new facility is opened, should the project be approved by the state of New York and Erie County.

The proposed capacity is about 12,000 seats less than the Bills’ current facility, now called Highmark Stadium, which was built in 1973. The new venue would not include a roof, but it would be designed so that a majority of the seats would be protected from the elements, the person said.

The team initially considered a larger stadium with a price-tag of $1.6 billion before making a decision to shrink the project, the person said.

Discussions between the the Bills’ parent company, Pegula Sports and Entertainment, and government officials opened in late May, with the parties holding an on-site tour at the Bills’ aging home last week.

At issue is how quickly a deal can be approved, and how the construction costs would be split between the team and taxpayers. The Bills have already said team owners Terry and Kim Pegula are committed to sharing part of the cost, but have not identified how much.

The expectation is the state and county will be asked to cover more than 50% of the project, raising concerns about the potential for taxpayer funding.

PSE’s proposal is considered preliminary and subject to change based on discussions, with no renderings of the proposed facility having yet been submitted. Talks have been slowed in part because of New York’s change in governor, with Kathy Hochul taking over last week following Andrew Cuomo’s resignation.

Hochul is from Buffalo, and has already had contact with PSE officials.

Her office released a statement to The AP on Monday which read: “No one is more committed to keeping the Bills in Buffalo than Gov. Kathy Hochul, a long time Buffalo Bills fan. Negotiations are ongoing, and her administration looks forward to sharing details with the public as soon as negotiations are completed.”

The $1.6 billion cost of New York Giants and Jets’ shared facility of MetLife Stadium, which opened in 2010, was entirely privately funded. The Minnesota Vikings’ $1.1 billion U.S. Bank Stadium, which opened in 2016, had taxpayers fund 45.2% of the cost.

In Orchard Park, Highmark Stadium’s $22 million construction tab in the early 1970s was picked up entirely by taxpayers.

The Bills have ruled out the option of further renovations because they would be cost prohibitive in comparison to starting fresh.

More than $130 million was committed to renovations as part of the previous lease agreement struck in 2013. A state-commissioned study conducted a year later projected the next round of renovations would cost $540 million, with a majority of the work dedicated to essentially rebuilding the entire third deck. That cost is projected to be much higher in today’s dollars.

The Pegulas, who purchased the Bills in 2014, say they have spent an additional $146 million on capital and game-day and stadium-related expenses, which included suite upgrades, a new training facility and expansion of practice fields.

As part of a PSE-funded study launched in 2018, the team conducted an extensive analysis focusing on three potential stadium sites in and around Buffalo before opting to propose building the facility on a team-controlled parking lot across the street from its current home.

The two other locations considered were on the University at Buffalo campus north of the city, and a downtown site on the land where the abandoned Perry Projects sit empty. The projected cost of a downtown stadium came to $1.9 billion, not including necessary infrastructure upgrades, the person said.

PSE has since hired Legends Global Planning, a stadium consulting firm controlled by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and the New York Yankees. Also hired was a division of the company, Legends Global Sales, to oversee selling sponsorships and seat licensing for the prospective new stadium.

PSE’s submission includes an economic impact study, which concludes the team generates $361 million annually to the regional economy.

Sports economists have pushed back on how much of an impact sports facilities have on local economies, and question whether taxpayers should share the burden of the costs. That especially involves NFL stadiums because of the limited number of dates they are open based on the NFL’s 17-game regular season schedule, University of Chicago economist Allen Sanderson said.

“The answer is zero: Sports stadiums are no catalysts for economic development,” Sanderson said. “They just largely enrich the team and the league and the owner of the franchise.”

The NHL is proposing at least three key changes to the draft lottery system, reports Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.

  • Teams are limited to no more than two lottery wins in a five-year period
  • Teams are allowed to jump only 10 spots with a lottery win
  • A reduction in the number of picks decided by lottery from three to two

These changes are subject to approval by the NHL’s board of governors. Only the third possible change would take effect before the 2022 draft, according to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet. Additionally, previous lottery victories reportedly won’t count toward a team’s total.

NHL general managers reportedly called on the league in October to increase lottery odds for teams in the bottom of the standings. This came over two months after the New York Rangers won the right to select Alexis Lafreniere first overall.

The Rangers won the lottery despite qualifying for last year’s expanded postseason format and finishing 13 spots and 40 points ahead of the last-place Detroit Red Wings in the regular-season standings.

Detroit finished 23 points behind the second-worst team in the league but ended up picking fourth overall.

The NHL’s last-place team has picked first overall just twice in the last nine years.

The Edmonton Oilers infamously picked first overall three years in a row from 2010 to 2012, and then again in 2015. They finished last in the league in only two of those seasons.

The NHL last altered the lottery format in 2016. Before that, only the top pick was in play for the lottery, so the league’s last-place team was guaranteed at least second overall.

facility-ops-ext-rogers

Oilers Entertainment Group is making a strong push for Edmonton to be selected as one of the NHL’s hub cities.

The company provided details Monday about its proposal, including those related to the player experience and safety measures it plans to implement, according to TSN’s Ryan Rishaug.

All players will stay at the JW Marriott hotel, which is across from Rogers Place. A village-style setup – similar to that used during the Olympics – will provide players with outdoor and indoor activities, including golf simulators, basketball courts, movie nights, video games, live entertainment, ping pong, pool tables, lounge areas, and rooftop patios.

Arrangements will be made with more than a dozen of the city’s top-end restaurants to provide players with a wide variety of food delivery options. Local golf courses will also have days dedicated to hosting only the participants living in the bubble.

The players are unlikely to be joined by their families immediately upon arrival, but OEG is working with Alberta Tourism to create vacation experiences across the province for family members to take part in as the season resumes.

Safety and testing protocols will be strengthened for all players, staff, and employees. Edmonton police will also help plan dedicated routes for players to use when traveling to and from the arena.

The league is expected to announce by the end of this week its choice of the two hub cities. After reportedly cutting down the list from 10 cities to six on Saturday, Edmonton remains in the mix alongside Vancouver, Toronto, Las Vegas. Chicago is also still being considered, according to The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun.

The NHL is reportedly not considering delaying its tentative July 10 start date for training camps despite 11 players testing positive for COVID-19 during Phase 2 of its return-to-play plan.

13926_0_mgmgrandhotelandcasino_fsa-g

MGM Resorts International has submitted a bid to the NHL showcasing Las Vegas’ ability to serve as a hub city for the expanded postseason, sources told The Athletic’s Jesse Granger.

Exact details of the proposal are currently unknown, but it reportedly highlights the surplus of MGM-owned hotels located near T-Mobile Arena – home of the Golden Knights – which could make Sin City a viable spot to host players, staff, and potentially family members for 12 NHL teams. MGM also has a 42.5% ownership stake in T-Mobile Arena, Granger notes.

Las Vegas has been connected to the league’s plan to use hub cities since the idea was first reported, and it’s one of 10 locations the NHL is considering. The league hopes to have a hub in one market in each conference, but local COVID-19 restrictions will ultimately be the deciding factor.

Though Last Vegas doesn’t have as many rinks available as other locations under consideration, there are six sheets of ice that can currently be used for games and practices. Additional ice surfaces could be installed closer to the strip, as well, according to Granger.

The NHL is also considering Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Toronto, and Vancouver.

0DA57AA3-B986-4848-823D-5F7F42E69A91
On the December 11 episode of NXT, Ángel Garza defeated Lio Rush to become the Cruiserweight Champion. After the match, Garza had the opportunity to propose to his girlfriend, now future wife. Garza spoke with Super lúchas about how his proposal came true.

“Two days before my match, I was driving and saw a jewelry store and stopped by,” Garza said. “I entered to see and I bought the ring; I brought it with me when I arrived that Wednesday at Full Sail, I ran into Triple H in the locker room and said: ‘I know it will be a very difficult match, and whether I win or lose, would you let me do something?’.

“He asked me what I had in mind and I told him that I wanted to give my girlfriend the ring. He replied: ‘Perfect, you have given me results and I want you to be happy, to be happy with the company. You will have your microphone, you will have your time, we will turn on the lights and all the stage is completely yours’.”

Garza continued talking about the reactions the other wrestlers backstage had.

“And it was something very surprising, it was something that nobody expected. None of my coworkers knew, nobody knew absolutely nothing besides Triple H. They all got the surprise and it was a very emotional moment,” Garza said. “Believe me that the words I said came from my heart, when I say that there are four things that are my whole life: Wrestling, the entire WWEUniverse that has supported me to date, my family, and then my girlfriend, now my future wife.

“It was something that came out unexpectedly, but I have always said that the best things in life are not planned, they just feel and are done, and if you can do it that way, you will have many satisfactions in your life.”

AE74201D-0C5E-43F7-BD4A-03DE47AC7091
Tonight was a pretty memorable one for Angel Garza, as he won the Cruiserweight Championship during NXT … then proposed to his girlfriend.

Garza and Lio Rush kicked off Wednesday’s show with a fast-paced title defense that saw both performers hit their opponent’s signature moves on each other, as well as their own. “The Man of the Hour” even attempted a frog splash to the outside, but failed to land it.

Angel then picked up the win via submission by turning the Wing Clipper into a submission move.

After the commercial break, footage was shown of Angel Garza bringing his girlfriend into the ring following his win and surprising her with a marriage proposal. As you’d expect … she said yes.

F79A23F5-F096-445F-A955-4F62F6173269